Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
p m h
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
New machine to support D800 files
Nov 3, 2012

It is time for a complete overhaul of my 5.5 year old machine. Although my current machine has been upgraded couple times in the last few years (1GB RAM -> 4GB RAM, 1 HDD -> 1SSD+HDD), working efficeintly on D800e files will require a complete overhaul and I will highly appreciate any help from experts here..

Currently, I mostly use photoshop cs6, lightroom4 and capturenx2. In photoshop, I focus stack a lot and would love to efficiently work on large panaromas. Moreover, I want the new machine to be fast enough to support working on timelapse videos.

Basically, the plan is to build a machine good enough to be used for the next 5 years - parhaps with relatively minor upgrades.

I would love to reuse the following items from my old machine: i) ATI FirePro V4800 graphics card (since it supports 10bit color) ii) optical drive iii) 256 crucial SSD. Everything else will need to be new. BTW, i also have a drobo system with 6TB storage.

I have no problem going with the relatively expensive Intel I7-3930K processor if that is better (e.g., extensible) for the long run. However, I would love to hear if you think it is not a good idea. Once we have the processor fixed, I would love to hear your recommendation on the rest of the components, e.g., Motherboard, RAM, cooler, powersupply and the case.

Thanks for you help.

http://500px.com/protik

p m h's gear list:p m h's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow