Sold some images

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Questions thread
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,230
Like?
a successful photo friend once scolded
In reply to Jim Funston, Nov 3, 2012

me for giving away some 13x19 prints.  He said that once you go down that road, it's really hard to escape it.  Friends who got free work will talk with friends who are interested and then feel dissed if they have to pay.

So then I sold a couple of 13x19 prints for about $20 each, which got me scolded even more.  He said that either of those pics he would have framed and sold for several hundred $$ each. I told him that I would never pay someone that much for photos.  He told me how much he was getting for a 2 day photo shoot out of state at a new mall opening.  It blew me away.  He said he didn't get there by giving his work away.

I don't know what the answer is.  I still like selling 13x19 prints only for a bit more than the cost of materials, and I'm stuck there as he said.

Now he made a lot of money from his side-jobs in the photo world.  Turns out he recently died of cancer at an early age, and his family is far better off having access to the wealth his photo work created.

Personally, I'm not into photography to create money.  It's a pure hobby for me, and I only shoot because I am personally interested in the shots. Each photo I print and put on the wall saves me an enormous amount of money compared to my having pay someone like my friend for the same print.

People have asked me to photograph their weddings, and I won't touch that with a 10-ft pole. The stress involved in meeting expectations at a wedding is somewhere I do not want to go.

One thing you could do is to put your photos up on a site that people can buy from which pays you a commission of your choosing.  They can go to the website and buy them if they want.

Only you can decide what to do.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow