Canon G15 saving .jpg in a much lower quality even than Canon G9?

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alfamonk
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Canon G15 saving .jpg in a much lower quality even than Canon G9?
In reply to RedFox88, Nov 3, 2012

RedFox88 wrote:

Alfamonk wrote:

Taking a look further, i've discovered that my G9 saves them with 96% quality, while G15 saves them with 90% quality! WTH Canon? It is supposed to be better than older models, not compromising with such stuff.

A few years ago Canon removed the "super fine" JPG setting. If you really look at it, the difference between 96 and 90 quality setting is rather minimal. If you really need to squeeze that little difference out, you would be shooting RAW. Don't get caught up in specs that 96 means so much better than 90. Look at your photos instead of how much space they are taking up on your 2 TB hard drives.

You are wrong, as ´╗┐the Super fine JPG setting is still there, but not in Auto Mode. Anyway, i managed to take 2 shots. One with Super fine and one in Fine quality. I only pointed a zoomed area, but the difference is visible all over the image. You can see the full image in the Gallery.

I just hope that Canon can fix this via firmware update, as i really like the new Auto Mode (it's the way i am sharing my camera with people that don't know how to use P/Av/Tv/M Mode). And it's really bad to think your images will be worst just because of that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow