Any Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/15mm out in the world yet?

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 904Gear list
Like?
Re: More Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm ZE Samples
In reply to Ben_Egbert, Nov 3, 2012

Ben_Egbert wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

I have to agree with the Zeiss 15/21 comparison.

Here's a shot taken with the 21 last year (Canon 5D)

Here's a shot taken yesterday with the 15 (Canon 5D Mark II)

Another with the 15 from yesterday

Great color, contrast and clarity. Distortion is well controlled, just a stellar lens.

-Tim

How do you focus? Mine arrived yesterday and I did micro adjust in the morning and needed +15 clicks. Took it out for a landscape last evening and got home with OOF. My Samyang 14 beat it but only because it was focused. My f2.8 shot was better than my f8.

I can't use live view on subjects more than 50 feet or so at 15mm, not enough detail left on a 1ds-mk3. So I rely on af confirm, and I suspect it does not have enough contrast either at infinity.

I think the key is a to focus at around 13 feet, which is hyperfocal for a CoC of .015.

If you are using live view, how deep into the scene do you go? When I try live view on any distant subject I tend to focus past infinity and everything is OOF.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.
http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/
Ben

I have mostly used live view on my 5D II (can I just say how amazing that feature is....coming from the 5D anyway.)  On this particular trip, I did have a chance to focus the old fashioned way.  I did try to use focus confirm and then adjust by eye.  I have the EG-S focusing screen which may have helped a little.  With the original 5D I used the angle finder, you can zoom in with it.....but that still wasn't completely accurate.

With live view I usually end up focusing on the more distant object of interest (so the ridge of rocks at the top of the waterfall...not the trees behind in the distance.)  I was shooting at f/11, so DoF seemed wide enough to get just about everything in focus.

I notice that just like my 21mm, I have to back off the hard stop slightly to obtain what I believe is effectively infinity focus.  So you can't just go to the hard stop.

I had experimented with hyperfocal focusing, but I was never extremely happy with the results.  Probably wasn't taking a CoC into account that would have made me happy...so my fault.  What I've been starting to do is use live view to focus, then use the controller to view (on the lcd) something closer and then hold in the depth of field preview button.  The lcd darkens, but I can still get an idea whether the foreground item is in focus.

Ultimately I guess I'm still learning the lens.  I don't get out to shoot as much as I'd like to and my photography usually slows down from now into March.  I was really beginning to think I wouldn't have it before now, but luckily I think I was one of the first to get the batch that was shipped last month (to the US anyway.)

-Tim

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow