Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
Uses of a DP2?
Nov 3, 2012

I know this may seem like an odd question with an obvious answer - "Well it's a camera, you use it to take pictures with", but bare with me.

I've been looking at this camera for a while and been lusting over it tbh, but I'm worried it will have quite a limited use to me.

I currently have a m4/3 kit with a standard zoom, telephoto zoom and fisheye. Hoefully adding a portrait or standard prime soon. I clearly have all the bases covered focal length wise and the IQ is far from bad.

I've been trying to think of uses where the slow speed of the sigma won't matter and the high IQ will be worth it (also where the focal length will be right. Pano shots seems like an obvious one. I imagine you could get some beautifully detailed landscapes with it, and a setup like a Benro Travel Angel and RRS pano kit could also be very light, although the only L plate is the John Milch one which I don't much like the look of. Guess I could cut the grip off. Also it the FoV suits the subject obviously normal landscapes as well

Shots in busy cities also comes to mind. I like the FoV that a normal lens gives in these situations (although could see myself sometimes wishing for a wide to go with it... maybe a dp1 as well ), and scenes like these really come alive when packed with detail because tou can properly appriciate how much is going on.

The third that comes to mind is people group shots. Again the level of detail would be awsome, and I love the natural noise pattern and like how it renders skin. One issue here could be the very slow write times though. How often can you shoot pictures at a cosistent rate without having to slow down?

Are there any other uses people have found the DP2 really excells in (and would be worth it over a m4/3 camera for)?

Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow