NEC monitor / SprectraView confusion

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ronzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284
Like?
Re: NEC monitor / SprectraView confusion
In reply to stormyboy, Nov 2, 2012

On my P221W with the older SV sensor and software, a customized I1D2, the FAQ stated that the I1D2 was specially fitted with a filter or whatever to accommodate wide gamut models. The FAQ did state that other sensors could be used, and gave a list, but that they were not capable of calibrating wide gamut monitors.

Some software apps might be capable of accessing the LUTs in the monitor it self as SV does. However there might be a device lock on that access as well.

Now the P241W is not a wide gamut device and has limited Adobe RGB coverage:

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/p241w-bk

I have a ColorMunki Photo for printer calibration. I just used it on an sRGB IPS panel monitor and it worked very well. That of course sets up the video card mostly and has me adjust monitor brightness by the monitor menu. It does not communicate with the monitor as the NEC SV system does. I never tried it with the NEC monitor since I already had the SV kit.

Since the NEC is gamut limited to 75% Adobe RGB and you want to do other devices maybe it makes sense to consider a combination printer/monitor calibrator.

If you look at the SV FAQ it explains that the type of device used for printer calibration will not work the best for monitor calibration. I forgot the two spectral device classes here but they are different.

http://www.necdisplay.com/spectra-view-II/FAQ

Also note that the wide gamut monitors now have "color "critical" in the product title which give 95% Adobe RGB coverage or better. The P221W is for "graphics professionals" but that does not indicate wide gamut.

If your output is geared toward web production, sRGB is the standard and soft proof is not applicable. If output is for custom printing or publication, Adobe RGB will allow more color saturation that some printers can handle and that profile will be incorporated into your soft proof if the monitor is wide gamut.

I never checked "75%" Adobe RGB against the sRGB 100% colorspace.

Here is a comparison of the two color spaces:

just for comprehension. It appears that sRGB does look like 75% Adobe RGB by estimation.

The P241W is CCFL backlighted and will need to be calibrated every so often as the CCFLs age since the brightness and color temperature will drift with use. You will for most needs want to reduce white illumination intensity to about 120 foot candles especially for soft proofing prints.

The P241 should have been shipped with a factory calibration and it may have been stored in the monitor. however that will not help with monitor drift.

My day to day monitor is a Viewsonic VP2365-LED IPS panel Color Munki Photo calibrated to 110 foot candles and results in 98% sRGB, its rating. I only turn on the NEC about an hour before editing since it takes quite a while for CCFLs to stabilize. Use it as the second dedicated editing monitor saves its backlight life as well as the reduced illumination.

using Economode on the P241W limits the brightness control range and 120 foot candles is well within the 75% Economode setting.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow