Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alex Yantifovich
Regular MemberPosts: 437
Like?
Re: Alex...
In reply to Ray Soares, Nov 2, 2012

Ray Soares wrote:

Great pic but allow me to be frank with you:

The old 18-70mm is well known to be not a stelar lens. With the D7000 it will suffer even more as it has an old design for cameras bodies with much less pixel density.

Your pic will never show more details / sharpness than that, as +8 for sharpness is a lot IMO ( and you've shot at f/5.6 , 1/640 and sunlight where it is supposed to be around the peak of performance of this kind of zoom ).

Usually it is better to invest in a top lens like the new 85mm f1.8 than spend money in a new body for example. The final difference will be huge special in difficult situations like moving targets, low-light, landscapes where you need corner sharpness, when you need to crop like in this pic, etc.

The colors, contrast, corner sharpness worth the extra price difference IMO.

Also believe me: the IQ of a top prime will be always better than the IQ of a top zoom ( with the exception of the impressive 14-24mm f/2.8 but it got much more distortion compared for example with my prime 24mm f/1.4G )

Just look at this post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/37815130

Best
--
Ray Soares
See my pictures at www.pbase.com/raysoares

Thanks Ray. I was just glad to get the shot. I was out shooting kids and family on a halloween walk about with my 5 year old when the hawk dropped down. I was shooting using a custom U1 mode set to Aperture priority with Auto ISO and AF-ON (per your post btw!)  I realize that it's an old lens but it's very hand for general walk around. I don't have the money at the moment to get a fast prime.  My Tammy took a crap and is going back to repair next week. that was the lens I wanted to take with me that day but learned that it's blades are stuck

I appreciate your input. Always glad to read your posts!

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7000
Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF
Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Nikon SB-600
Manfrotto 190XDB / 486RC2 Ballhead

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow