From NEX 7 to OMD EM5

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Questions thread
andrewsn00
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Just done it - thoughts
In reply to awmenard, Nov 2, 2012

Hey,

I've just switched, or rather am doing so atm as I've only had the OM-D for a week so haven't sold off the Sony *yet*. But I will, why?

Ultimately, if the tech is of a threshold of high quality, which both cameras are, then it comes down to the usage - can you do what you want with both and can you do it quickly?

For me, as good as the Nex-7 was, it was often getting in my way and not enabling me. So far, I've found the OM-D to be the opposite.

- Nex-7 is slow to focus, esp in low light, and slow to right to cards. It simply slows things down. Same with changing options via the menu etc etc. It should enable you but it slows you down.

- Nex-7 image quality was great but ISO performance wasn't.

- Nex-7 would always annoying me with its video, it promised a lot but just wasn't sharp enough for me to use professionally. It also had an annoying crop when you hit record. I much preferred using a GH2 for video.

- The Nex-7 ultimately felt like a great piece of technology but one that just simply didn't understand what's important for 'pro' photography use - i.e. durability, speed of operation, focus and general usage, consistent results e.g. of video.

So far the OM-D feels different. It feels snappy, responsive, quick to focus/write etc.

I've been working so hard I've not actually had a chance to take it out and directly compare, but so far I believe I'll sell the Sony. The OM-D might not be 100% as good in some areas, but it's colours and esp skin tones are great, and it has all the 'pro' usage I need i.e. it works and it works quickly!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow