Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
nnish78
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Re: Why recommend monolights?
In reply to Darrell Spreen, Nov 2, 2012

Darrell Spreen wrote:

nnish78 wrote:

You are correct.. The speedlights have been powerful enough for what I am shooting. I wanted to get something with a modelling light, and better softbox setups (it's a pain working with the softboxes and flashes.....

Should I stick with my flashes or there are good alternatives for the shots I am doing???

If you need a modeling light and prefer softboxes to umbrellas, studio strobes are the best solution and the previous recommendations for something around 200 W-sec which can be dialed back to 1/16 power should work well. I don't have a specific recommendation.

I agree that it's a struggle to fix softboxes to speedlghts -- though the new Westcott Orb looks like an interesting softbox alternative for speedlights. I've been using a diffuser in combination with a reflecting umbrella for a close approximation to a large softbox and it's an easy setup.

I've standardized my table-top work so that I don't rely on modeling lights -- light placement is usually one of 4 or 5 setups & I know what I will get from each.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Thanks...

I am currently looking at the Elinchrom D-lite RX series and still thinking between the RX One (100Ws) and the RX 2 (200Ws)... The RX One seems interesting, since it goes down to 6Ws.. The RX 2 also seems attractive, since I can use a big softbox and get a softer light and still have good enough power and can also use for outside shoots....

Is the RX 2 too high for my product photography work even with a big softbox, or should I stick on the RX One??? What you guys think?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow