Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Meganrogers
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
Re: My first L - looking for suggestions
In reply to gdanmitchell, Nov 2, 2012

gdanmitchell wrote:

howellls wrote:

For years I have heard tales about the amazing 'L' lenses. I have still never had an opportunity to use one. I own a new T2I and and slightly used 20D. I typically enjoy shooting people, pets (very active in the Boston Terrier Rescue) and occasionally when I travel scenery. Not much local scenery living in Dallas. I own the following Canon Lens. 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 40mm, 50mm. looking for suggestions for a first L lens. I am open to new and slightly used. Zoom or prime. Thanks

Don't assume that an L lens is the best lens for your situation, and don't presume that L lenses will provide "amazing" performance, and don't presume that non-L lenses are unworthy. This is especially the case when it comes to the EFS cropped sensor cameras like yours. Also, the primary consideration when looking at new lenses is your specific needs and how a given lens does or does not meet them... not whether it has a red ring on the barrel.

For example, let's imagine that you have decided that the EFS 18-55mm lens that you own is not performing up to your standard for some reason. (Truth be told, it actually performs very well.) If you were to look for a "better" replacement/upgrade for the functionality of that lens, your best option would likely not be an "L" lens, but rather it would be the excellent EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It provides excellent optical quality, a larger focal length range that comparable L choices, f/2.8, and image stabilization. Or, if you were looking for a larger focal length range in such a lens, you might look at the EFS 15-85, another great performer.

If your thought is to acquire some primes, there are a number of very excellent non-L choices here.

A more significant issue is the following: It seems that the driving factor here is your desire to own more lenses and to own lenses with the L designation rather than to make choices based on need. This is a dangerous and, in the end, sort of pointless way to buy lenses.

In what specific ways are your current lenses not performing well for you? What is it that you need/want to shoot that you cannot shoot with the current gear? What specific lens features do you need in order to address these perceived shortcomings? Answers to these questions are critical and can help you make intelligent choices about whether or not you need additional lenses and, if so, what lenses they might be.

Dan 's advise is the best. You mention portrait, landscape, sports(fast dog) all of which are often served by different lenses. You need to narrow the choices.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow