Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jeremyo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
OOC Black and White - X100
Nov 2, 2012

I've had my X100 for a week and I'm in love. Actual love. Physical love.

I've been pulling my hair out on the RAW vs. JPEG issue, so today I had a play. In the RAW corner is unlimited flexibility and an incredible safeguard. In the OOC corner comes uncannily good white balance, forget-about-it ease and crazy speed.

Complicating the matter is my puny 1GB SD card (er, it forces me to be thoughtful, it does I swear) and my equally puny but all kinds of lightning-fast laptop SSD, where my collections end up. RAW + JPEG isn't really an option: I don't have that sort of real-estate, and I don't like the way it occupies the camera's brain anyway.

I would be happy to shoot RAW, and I'm sure I will on occasion (why can't there be a third function button, so I can assign RAW mode on-the-fly? oh the irony) but mostly I just want to shoot and forget; know I'll be able to show off the bulk of my photos without spending hours in post-production.

This evening I thought, to hell with it, I'll swallow my photo-nerd pride, load up one of the configurations I'd set earlier, and shoot some black and white pixels.

flickr gallery

Is it as good as twenty minutes each in Photoshop? Probably not. I'm not sure that's a problem for me, though.

Anyway, for those who are interested - my B&W custom setting.

ISO: 1600

DYNAMIC RANGE: AUTO

FILM SIMULATION: B

WHITE BALANCE: AUTO / (B+1, R+2)

COLOR: MID

SHARPNESS: SOFT

HIGHLIGHT TONE: HARD

SHADOW TONE: HARD

NOISE REDUCTION: LOW

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow