Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,783Gear list
Like?
A77 vs A99 -- less noise and more detail for a lot of money
Nov 2, 2012

Yesterday I run a simple but effective test of the A77 and A99 side by side to evaluate the differnces in noise at very high ISO settings, ISO 6400 and 12600. For a reference i also took some pictures at ISO 200. The lens used was the Sony G 70-200 mm f:2.8. To reduce differences in image quality from 100 to 150 mm to an absolute minimum, f:8 was used.

To relate this test to two different real world situations:

- I used the same focal lengt for both cameras, which often is the situation when shooting wildlife/birds in flight. We put on the longest we have, no matter if the camera is aps-c or full frame. With the full frame camera we have to make tighter crops at post processing.

- I used focal lengts that gives the same field of view, which is the normal situation for most tasks. We put on a lens which covers the scene, so that we don't have to crop at post processing, or at least reducing the cropping to a minimum.

The A99 has for sure less high ISO noise, and gone is also most of the color noise. The noise is pelasant and detail contrast is very high.

The A99 is doing pretty well even when using the same focal length and pictures are scaled up to match the A77 field of view, as shown in the lower sample. The A99 picturs is just scaled up, without using any exotic sampling algorithms. Not bad. Not bad at all!

And for those claiming high ISO noise should be done under poor lit conditions: The sensitivity of digital sensors are lineear, so the perfomance should be the same, no matter bright or low light, as long as the exposure is correct.

These are all 100 % crop. What do you think?

Direct comparition A77 vs A99.

A99 images with same focal length as A77, and then scaled up to 150 mm equiv. focal length.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow