Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
drpoop
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
SDHC Cards - recommendation
In reply to Digital Parasite, Nov 2, 2012

Digital Parasite wrote:

Bernard Pirenne wrote:

Some SDHC cards have transfer rates of 95 Mbytes per sec some others have tranfer rates of 30mB per second.

For the OM -D E-M5 is one better than the other ? For rapid shooting of several pictures,:-)will the camera behave better with the speedier card ?

You will probably want to make sure the SDHC card you are buying supports the UHS-I ultra high speed standard to start. I haven't tried the difference myself but another test is showing the difference between a 45 MB/s and 95 MB/s cards here with the EM-5:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A6.HTM

• 19 sec vs 5 sec for 15 JPEG
  • 21 sec vs 7 sec for 15 RAW
  • 22 sec vs 13 sec for 14 RAW+JPEG

So looks like it makes a difference, but not sure in practice if you will run into having to frequently wait before you can take more pictures and the buffer fills up.

I didn't have a BIG issue with filling the buffer frequently, but I did want to have a speedy card in case I did have a 12 shot burst. With my old class 10 SD card, this took 26 seconds to clear the buffer. Also, transfering files to the computer can take some time.

So I looked around and found the Transcend 16GB UHS card to be exactly what I wanted. Cheap price point, good quality, 80Mb/s transfer speeds.

I clocked the new card at 12 seconds to clear the buffer for RAW + Jpegs.

I guess that is worth it for a $25 purchase.

http://www.amazon.ca/Transcend-Speed-Class-Memory-TS16GSDHC10U1E/dp/B006JINI10/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351862691&sr=1-1

drpoop's gear list:drpoop's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow