Upgrade Aperture ? Or move to Photoshop Elements ?

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Questions thread
DiploStrat
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade Aperture ? Or move to Photoshop Elements ?
In reply to Ethel, Nov 2, 2012

The two programs are basically different:

-- hide signature --

Aperture (and Lightroom) are multifaceted image data base programs. I can't imagine trying to manage even my library of just over 10,000 images without one or the other. I prefer Aperture.

-- Elements (and the full Photoshop as well) are pixel editors. Most people need at least one form of pixel editor (PS, GIMP, Pixelmater, etc.) to handle special projects like cutting out people, calendars, etc. I use Photoshop Elements, but only one or two images out of 100 every need editing at this level; Aperture easily handles all of the rest.

If you use Photoshop as your main image processing tool, and you can, then you will probably want some form of organizer, Photo Mechanic, Organizer, Bridge, etc. Many of us simply consider Aperture and Lightroom to be better.

N.B. Aperture should not be "filling your disk with duplicates." You are doing something wrong. Actually, because of its Versioning structure, Aperture will generally take up less disk space, especially if you shoot RAW.

--
DiploStrat

DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T10 Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow