Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,614Gear list
Like?
RAW for the techno deprived?
Nov 2, 2012

As long as I have been into digital photography, I have only shot in JPEG.  But I understand that to maximize one's image quality potential, it seems that RAW is a must.  I'm also of the school that believes old people are either too old to figure out this new-fangled stuff, or improvements are progressing too fast to bother catching up. (I don't own, nor even want, a cell phone.)  But, I'm planning on a trip to the great American Southwest in several months, I would like to capture the redrock landscapes the best that I can.

So knowing this, where/how do I begin to learn about RAW digital photography?  I know absolutely nothing.  And if you move too fast or assume I know my way around post processing, don't bother to respond.  (I do have PSE 10 installed, but have never used it.)   But if you are able to deliver slow doses of info. at a slow, easy to comprehend rate, I might just get it.

I think I once saw a "RAW for Dummies" book.  The title really tells it like it is for me.  Should I bother with this book?

The only specific question I have for the moment........if I were to shoot RAW + JPEG (I see my Canon T2i is capable of this), how does this affect the total number of images captured per memory card?

If there are some tutorials for "dummies" on this subject, please direct me to them.

Can you help me?

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow