Open letter to photographyblog.com (Review E-PL5; Nikon J2)

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alexis D
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
Re: Open letter to photographyblog.com (Review E-PL5; Nikon J2)
In reply to tjuster1, Nov 2, 2012

tjuster1 wrote:

Well, for those non-native English speakers (who I greatly admire, by the way) here's some advice in making yourself more easily understood:

you: "the pronoun of the second person singular or plural, used of the person or persons being addressed, in the nominative orobjective case: You are the highest bidder. It is you who are to blame. We can't help you. This package came for you. Did she give you the book?" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/you?s=t).

Note, not: "u are the highest bidder. It is u who are to blame. We can't help u. This package came for u. Did she give u the book?" Using "u" for "you" is a shorthand that sacrifices convenience for the reader for convenience for the writer. The same goes for capitalizing I (as in "I find it hard to read when people don't") and other atrocities such as "4" for "for", "sed8" for "sedate" and other shorthand that makes you seem like a twelve year-old girl texting on her phone.

When people say,

"It is you, who is to blame."

they actually mean this,

"It is you, the person who is to blame."

The word "who" is used to imply "the person who".

The clause "who is to blame" is merely an extension or a clarification for what the first part of the sentence ("It is you") is about.

So, no matter which person you put into the blank below, it should always be "who is ......".

It is ______, (the person) who is to blame. The verb after "who" should be "is" as it is referring not to whoever is put in the blank.

It is you, who is wrong!

I am a non-native English speaker and I am happy to be corrected. This particular point has been debated for ever, but I am suggesting who seems reasonable to settle this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow