Switching to Full Frame ?

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
RobS555
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Switching to Full Frame ?
In reply to bertair, Nov 2, 2012

First I'd say if you're happy with the results you're getting from the D7000 you should drag your feet and wait for the next generation of cameras.  Simply because you can.  Never let anyone convince you the D7000 isn't a pro camera, because you can get pro results from it, and that's what matters.  It may lack some ruggedness, but come on-- it's a precision instrument: you shouldn't drop, bounce, or whack any camera.  "Pro" cameras from 10 years ago had far less impressive specs/capabilities.  I own one, but also recently upgraded to the D600.

The D600 is an upgrade in every sense, but just a little bit in each area.  Altogether, it's a big difference; but if you specialize in a certain type of photography, those differences may not appear as significant.  One of the great things about it (and the D800) is that you can use your DX lenses and get similar results to your D7000-- so there's no loss there.  One of the biggest differences I've noticed so far is its low-light capabilities (espeicallly hand-held), but in general I see improvement in texture, tonality (dynamic range), and sharpness.  Operationally, it's very similar to the D7000, which makes for an easy switch.  I have the Tokina, and it works just fine.

I think the D800 will require you to upgrade your computer-- the RAM and processor will likely struggle with the files (especially in Photoshop), and the images will quickly consume your hard drive.  That's been one of the big complaints.  That kind of resolution is useful in very specific circumstances, and I think it is very specialized: for instance, wildlife photogs that need to crop their images severely, or fashion photogs who will blow their images up to life-size.  In other circumstances, the D600 will perform just as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow