Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?
A99 shots of San Francisco skyline
Nov 2, 2012

I just got my A99 a couple of days ago and I must say I'm impressed so far with the image quality I'm seeing.The camera feels really good in the hand.Coming from an A77,my pinky always hung off the bottom of the grip.But with the A99 my hand fits nicely on the grip.People using an A77 will feel right at home with this camera.Button layout is virtually identical.

There are a couple of things that I wish Sony would address though.Aside from wishing the focus points were a little more spread out,the rest are software related.Hopefully Sony could change these in a firmware update,although I wouldn't count on it.

1. I wish things like Live view setting and lens distortion correction could be remembered by the custom memory settings.These are important if you want to make a studio setting or sports setting.Or you could make these settings available in the quick navi menu or allow them to be programmed to a button.Any of these options would suit me fine.

2.I also wish the camera would temporarily switch to Jpeg when you want to use MFNR,auto HDR,picture effects,etc...instead of locking out these functions if you shoot raw or raw+jpeg.I think manually switching to jpeg everytime you want to use these functions is an unnecessary step.

Aside from these quibbles,I'm very happy with this camera.It has the ergonomics and usability of the A77 that I enjoyed,but with a lot more extras.I think the focus limiter is one of the best innovations I've seen in while.Flash exposure is much improved over the A77.Noise at higher ISO's is a lot better.I haven't tried out the AF-D mode yet,so I can't comment on that.

Also the EVF is improved from the A77.It is not over saturated like the A77 and Nex-7.Noise is a lot less in dim light and finer grained.Probably because of the extra light gathering of the full size sensor.

Anyways,these are my impressions so far.I hope to get out this weekend and take some more pictures.Here are a few photos I took earlier this evening.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow