Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
remylebeau
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
First shots with a99 pretty impressed with it's ISO performance
Nov 2, 2012

Shot my friend who coaches athletes at a private gym, wanted some new shots for his site so I decided to take the a99.

Nothing special except most of the shots are done either 1600 or 3200 ISO, the facility wasn't dark but it wasn't well lit either due to the size. I also had to increase shutter speed to catch the motion, especially the mauy thai pad work.

Weird thing, Camera Raw 7.2 isn't fully compatible with the RAW file from the a99 just yet. It'll do most of the functions but won't allow "recovery" so you can't recover blow out areas just yet.

At first I thought it was CS6 which I upgraded to last week, I though maybe they'd moved the function to another location but I opened some RAW files from my a77 and they had Recovery function.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the camera's performance. I shot some footage for a club promo last Friday and I killed the other 2 crews that were there. The articulating screen allowed me to shoot very unique angles and the full-time live view and auto focus allowed my shots to be in focus. Filming at 3200 and 6400 ISO you can see grain but I'm cleaning that up in post. Only thing I can note was the Noise was going from very nice to very noticeable as the sensor heated up. Though it's a club setting as well so the air is pretty thick and hot, I'm sure that contributed to the noise quite a bit.

remylebeau's gear list:remylebeau's gear list
Nikon D3 Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX +9 more
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow