Is it possible to take photos of Vampires?

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gomez Garcia Gonzalez
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Is it possible to take photos of Vampires?
Nov 1, 2012

My long-held hypothesis has been that it is not.

You see, Vampires cast no shadow and make no reflections in mirrors. I have always thought that these properties of Vampires would mean that their images can't be refracted through glass or reflected onto film or a camera sensor. Clearly, there is a way in which Vampires interact with light that affects how this could work.

I know, I know. This means that all the Vampire films you have seen starred people who weren't actual Vampires. It is terribly disappointing.

Anyhow, on Halloween night I set out to test my theory. Not being much of a Vampire hunter, I wasn't sure how to go about all this, but I gathered up my camera equipment and went to an elegant marble memorial and crypt in an isolated spot on a hillside near Wellington. I figured this was a likely place for a Vampire to hang out. Being a full moon, I hoped things would be slightly in my favour, as the increased ambient light would surely detract a little bit from the power of the Vampire/s?

Predictably, a vampire turned up shortly after 11pm. Being a bit of a noob at all this I realised I didn't have any garlic or what-have-you to keep it at bay while I clicked photos and chimped. Vampy seemed quite interested in getting a taste of my claret and I began to realise the folly of my plan. Sometimes photography enthusiasm leads you to some tight spots.

In a panic, I grabbed my two flashes, dialled them up to full noise and let them off right in his face! I hadn't thought to close my own eyes and the diffusers I had fitted meant that a considerable amount of light went into my own eyes. Nevertheless, by the time I could see again the dust the Vampire had no doubt been flashed into had blown away on the steady Wellington wind, back to oblivion or wherever it was he came from.

I figured that was probably that for my Vampire portrait project, so I set about capturing the mood of the place before I shuffled back home.

NEX 7 with Samyang 14mm F2.8

Full moon coming up. Samyang again.

The crypt. This was with C/Y Zeiss Distagon 28mm F2.8

Gomez Garcia Gonzalez's gear list:Gomez Garcia Gonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow