Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,193Gear list
Like?
nikon V1 or P7700? please convince me?
Nov 1, 2012

I have Nikon DSLRs.. i use them for weddings..(D90 and D300s..and a third back up D40x just in case).  I do not mind the bulk of course..it is a paid gig

now for family pictures.. I sometimes use my D40x with after market grip or without it.. ..I like the fast response of a dslr even if it is only a D40x.. MY family pics are not usually sports/action filled..mostly posed snap shots at parties or special occasions..

but when i am really lazy or do not want to lug around a bulky camera, I use my Canon G12..or even a really tiny tiny Sony WX9..

BUT... G12 and WX9.. i find them too slow to focus and respond..but I like that I can use video!! (i am not a purist i like videos on DSLRS..but it is not fast enough (manual focus) or practical to use video from a DSLR like the D90,  to shoot family videos..

..so I like a fast focusing, responsive camera (like a dslr)  that can do videos (like point and shoot cameras..no out of focus backgrounds all sharp.. since these are family videos not artsy fartsy well thought out videos) ... I thought of the Nikon V1.. it is now available for $399 at some stores.. with a 10-30mm lens..
I have tried one before at a duty free store and I like the fast AF locking responsiveness of it.

I like that it has an EVF.

I like that the kit lens covers 99% of my family pics/video needs..

I like that it has a dedicated video button.

I do not need PASM or any control stuff..

The only draw back is that it does not have a built in flash! arrgh!

I do not want to lug around an extra thing when i am having a good time at a family party..
sometimes those parties can have dim lighting.. a flash is needed..
so comes the Nikon P7700 to mind.. it has a tiltable screen, and built in flash and great zoom range.. but knowing that it is a point .. it might be as not as responsive and fast like the Nikon 1 cameras..

any thoughts?

the only reason the Nikon V1 is now attractive to me it is only because of its low price

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D40X Nikon D90 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow