Amanda Photoshoot (C&C please)

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
jjoehumps
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: Amanda Photoshoot (C&C please)
In reply to derangedhermit, Nov 1, 2012

derangedhermit wrote:

It is a characteristic of the species that we find symmetry in faces more attractive than asymmetry. On full face portraits of females, "full face" is when the ridge and tip of the nose is equidistant from either side as the camera sees it. In photo #1, the distance to the edge of one nostril appears is about twice as far as on the other side. Rotating the head slightly to the right or left makes the tilt of the nose disappear. No one minds (if they even notice) the necessary slight turn of the head.

To be blunt, you perform an instant "nose job" this way. She looks better, but no one but you knows why. For full-face, always point the nose, not the face, at the camera - why not capture her at her best?

While on noses, people with longer nose profiles are better portrayed without a lowering of the chin. Keeping the chin up not only helps the neckline, but also shortens the nose. You can see this may be helpful, for example, in #3.

The first photo shows that her face is more open on her left side. The main indicator of openness is the distance between the outside corner of the eye and the outside corner of the mouth - greater distance is more open. This shows that you have the correct side, the open side, of her face towards the camera in the 3/4 photos - good job! That way, the asymmetry works with perspective, and appears natural. The other way fights perspective, and looks unnatural. Another advantage is you usually have a larger eye opening to light and work with when you follow this guideline.

Under no circumstances point out a model's asymmetries to her and how you "fix" them.

In all the shots (and in just about any circumstance or pose), especially #4, we want the longest necklines possible. Once posed, ask the model: "(without moving below the waist,) stretch to try to touch the ceiling with the top of your head". You want to see the shoulders roll back, the chest rise, and the neck straighten.

Add my vote to the preference for single catchlights.

Last, one step that could be in your standard post-processing routine for female portraits is to do a vertical stretch by around 5% - the exact amount varies by person and by picture. The effect should be unnoticeable, and you are unlikely to ever receive a complaint if they did notice. Just think that the camera adds 10 lbs, and you are taking it back off.

Wow that is great feedback thank you! I'm going to do some test shots utilizing only one catchlight in a room with better ambient light and post process those and see how I do. I really appreciate all this criticism because I feel now I am in a position where I have the tools and growing knowledge to make a great photo, however without criticism like this I'm dead in the water. I've gotten where I am now by learning from other's mistakes; now I can really focus on my mistakes and make the photos that much better. What's funny is I see a totally different photo now then when I posted them prior.

Thanks again,

Joe

-- hide signature --

www.jhumphriesphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow