ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Tansey
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?
60D worth it over 550D or 600D?
Nov 1, 2012

Hi,

I used to be a regular here a year or so ago. I was then forced (needed new car) to sell my beautiful white lenses and 550D, along with most of my equipment (except my hot lights, strobes, stands and brollies, which aren't really worth much).

A year on, my Mrs realised we've now got no recent photos of our kids of any appreciable quality (phone pics only), so she suggested I got a proper camera again. I also really miss the sound of the shutter drop.

I was more than happy with the features, ability and image quality of the 550D. It's 18MP, and gives me RAW, which does it for me.

It was a bit small and flimsy feeling though, the chap I sold it to had a 50D, and I had a hold of it. It was much bigger, heavier and sturdier than my little plastic 550D, even with it's battery grip on.

I'm not interested in the 50D, as I'm a resolution junkie. I had 18MP, so I'm not going to go any lower. So looking at the specs of the 60D, it does everything my 550D did, not much more, but is much more expensive, and has the bigger sturdier body I'm after.

So life story over; Should I spend the extra on the 60D, is the image quality, dynamic range, noise, or anything else particularly better than the 550D? I want to know if I'm spending all the extra cash on pretty much the same thing wrapped in a big heavier body, or if I'm getting a much better DSLR.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow