Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894Gear list
Like?
16-50 vs. 18-55 with NEX 5N
Nov 1, 2012

In the comparison I just made with the 5N, the 18-55 at 50mm is a bit sharper in the center and more faded about 20% from the edge. Without pixel peeping, both differences look very small.

At 28mm, the difference in the center, in favor of the 18-55, is almost negligible, I have to pixel peep to see it, while the edges are again better in the 16-50.

I don't have an FTP site to upload these photos, and they are too many and too big to post here.

Zoom action is much smoother with the 18-55.

All in all, the IQ looks overall quite similar to me, similar enough to ignore the difference. I will probably sell the 18-55 and walk around with the 16-50. Without the EVF, the 5N with the 16-50 attached feels in size comparable to the Panasonic LX5 or the Canon G11, and noticeably smaller than the Olympus E-P1 with kit lens. To me it is quite an ideal pocket combination that fits comfortably in a jacket or a coat.

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Canon PowerShot G11 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow