NEX camera vs DSLR

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,230Gear list
Like?
Re: You are entitled to your opinion, forpetessake,
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Nov 1, 2012

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Use laws of physics properly if you understand them. Laws of physics say your need the same amount of light to fall on the same area of the sensor, or film or whatever, in order to generate the same signal/picture quality, if everything else like sensor efficiency or pixel density is equal.

I am familiar with a law of thermodynamics--conservation of energy.  It implies that regardless of how much I spread out the photons, I still get the same charge, and therefore the same signal, and therefore the same image.  The camera only displays the image darker, but that darker image does, in fact, have the same signal to noise ratio as the so-called "brighter" image from the smaller sensor.

Another way of looking at it is the photons are indeed more concentrated on the m43 sensor.  But to get to the final image (say, 8x12), they effectively get spread out again by the exact same amount as an 8x12 from an APS-C image.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EA2New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow