Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Franka T.L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,466Gear list
Like?
A moment of reflection - my 4/3 replacement
Nov 1, 2012

Let's face it , Panasonic is open about it, where Olympus is trying to BS through the question, but for any practical purpose, 4/3 the DSLR system is pretty much dead end. My L-1 and my E420 are both retired. I look to 4/3 originally for the promise of compact quality imaging platform. That which the E420 provide ( somewhat ). What I really want at that time is something akin to the E420 in size but build more like the L-1. I shoot multiple system , including FF and Medium format both film and digital, so there really is no  and not a question about replacing the whole setup or so .. and my 4/3 lens roster had already been whittled down to 3 ( the 11-22, 50 Macro and the Oly kit lens for the E420 ). They would go soon.

Well, the M4/3 came along, I try that, OK I would admit the GF-1 open up a new form factor but its not quite the way and the old 12MP sensor, even then is already well out of touch against peers. The GH series is pretty nice but its not quite the form factor I am seeking. Came OM-D , well to be frank I do not like its quasi OM styling, and after I handle one, I am even less thrilled about the build though I am fine with the imaging part. Before that of course there is the Sony NEX-7 which is almost as close as possible to the need for this compact system setup I am seeking except for lack of lens ( same for M4/3 )

Well, Photokina and the subsequent release of gears change all that. Yesterday I finally get a chance to check out the NEX-6. WOW, is the word I would say ... nice small one, full nice solid build, a sensor that work up to decent high ISO with enough MP to do some work PP. The announcement of several Sony and other's lens along the line also made it more viable. And it would work fine with my M mount lens roster.

So after some more detail checking, testing ... I am looking at NEX-7+NEX-6, and perhaps , even, later, adding the 5R for a setup. Those nice Sigma, Zeiss, and Sony fix focals, a few M lens with the adpter. Oh where's that old Canon Screw mount I have around ?? As reflection, I look at the 4/3, and their original promise and potential. I marvel at what Olympus try ( and succeed ) in doing part of the claim and yet forget about a balance of feature / performance / specification. A buildup of a setup vs system, a collection of lineup instead of just fragmented product marketing and disposition to a market. I recall with the E420 and E3, and then, I was shaking my head over Oly's inability or more likely unwillingness to forego their traditional (and proven unsuccessful ) approach to making a platform. Pondering; I have to wonder; if Oly had not been trying to adhere so much to the traditional model of how an entry level, mid range, and PRO / top end model would be, would it be more likely for 4/3 to establish a penetration and market share that it would allow the system to continue. It would ever be a question one would be hard to gauge. On one hand it might work out, but realistically at the time I am not seeing Olympus having the gut to do it, and perhaps not the technical know how and might to muster it either ( mostly its the sensor ). The M4/3 had establish the credibility of the COMPACT SYSTEM / mirrorless. which pretty much speak against the concept 4/3 put forth, with that hard on the compactness and lightweight. Its what really dog 4/3 and made M4/3, but paradoxically its also the limiting part on both, back then and still right now !!

Well my L-1 had been broken for quite a while and too costly to repair , and sitting in the cabinet being a nice display. I think I would just put the 50 Macro there to finalize the piece. And the NEX looks set to be the compact system setup I would be lugging. That I do thank the 4/3 and M4/3 for establishing this form factor and niche of gears.

-- hide signature --

- Franka -

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-420 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow