Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
junyeu
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
Panasonic G5 & 100-300mm day 1
Nov 1, 2012

I don't contribute much to this forum so I thought I'd share my experience with some new gadgets. Got the G5 yesterday to replace my GX1 which got salt water damage nearly a year ago and was going through a slow and painful death. Put it to rest yesterday. Nearly bought another GX1 until I did some research on the current lens offerings of the system. I already have a wide angle, 20 and 45 which cover almost everything I want to shoot. Never really considered a tele lens since I thought it defeated the purpose of using the system since it's for portability and if you asked me a year ago, I would think that it'll be crazy to even consider the 'huge' 100-300mm which I just bought. I bought this lens probably only because you can't get a 600mm equivalent lens without a converter any where close to this form factor, just to get the most out of the system really.. which is terrible because it's not something I need. Because of that I needed a body with a substantial grip and evf, hence the G5. Anyway, enough of bring your through my thought process.

The G5 and 100-300mm is really a nice combo to use. The grip is a huge welcome compared to the GX1 and G3 and was worth the extra $300 dollars imo. Of course there are other benefits with the electronics shutter getting a lot of use. It's totally silent. It's mind blowing especially from my background of dslrs usage. It only works well using shorter lenses and non moving subjects since the scan takes .1 second. Don't even bother with the 100-300mm.

I first tried to use the combo at about 11am with an overcast sky. Being used to shooting primes wide open no matter what the condition, it was very difficult to get any useable shots especially at the long end. It felt like it wasn't very dark but the camera kept going up to iso 1600 and above with the shutter speed at dangerously low settings. It was a half disappointment since I couldn't really blame the lens for what it's not meant to be capable of. So I went indoors and fixed an external flash and here's some results I got:

1/160 sec at f/4.3, ISO 400

It's incredible how much working distance I have with this lens. The only thing you need to use this lens well is lighting. If your subject is not overly well lit, it's probably really difficult to use it especially when m43 bodies aren't the best for low light. Good thing is that with external flashes I can control the level of light indoors a lot easier than I can outdoors.

above shot zoomed in

I'm really surprised how sharp the lens is wide open, especially when I was ready to be disappointed as many users complain about the lens in this department. I'm not saying that it is near the best macro lenses (especially when I don't do much macro at all) but it's definitely good enough for me and probably for most people.

1/160 sec at f/5.6, ISO 400

Full frame at longest focal length and closest focusing distance. I thought I didn't have a macro lens but now I do! And I was standing pretty far away from it. It's like a whole new world of photography to me since I can never afford to buy long macro lenses or just very long lenses in general, and this system really gave me that opportunity!

Here's a picture of what the combo looks like:

Panasonic DMC-G5 & LUMIX G VARIO 100-300mm F4.0-5.6 MEGA O.I.S.

It's a lot smaller than it seems to be on screen.

I have a feeling that I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this set up. Even though I still have to shoot with chunky slrs for occasional work I always go back to m43 for personal use. It's just fun and way less intrusive. This and the olympus 9-18mm are really amazes me as how they fit those focal lengths into such tiny form factors. They may not compare to top end glass but it's good enough for when you look back at your photos in say 5 or 10 years time. Or later, but you get what I mean. Sorry if this is more of a personal reflection on how m43 has changed photography for me rather than about the g5 and lens

Have a great day guys, and always remember to keep shooting!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow