Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JV Price
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
CHDK for A590IS and RAW processing
Nov 1, 2012

For the past two days I have worked hard to learn about CHDK for my A590IS.  I'm learning some and becoming more impressed with the capabilities.  I am trying to figure out how to work with the RAW files.  Initially, I discovered the difficulties with processing the CRW files.  I couuld not import CRW into Adobe.  Since I use GIMP,  I first tried UFRaw but was disappointed in not having sharpening correction and it was not perfectly stable as an input to GIMP. I experimented with having CHDK save the raw files as DNG, but the 4 second or longer wait time to complete the process is a bit disconcerting.  Today I downloaded and installed Rawtherapee.  Initially, I am amazed at the variety of controls, sliders and options.  Is this program really this good?  Is processing the CRW file in Rawtherapee yielding a JPEG file as good as getting a DNG file from CHDK into Adobe Camera Raw?  Also, is Rawtherapee so complete that one never needs to send the jpeg result into GIMP, Photoshop, or whatever?

JV Price's gear list:JV Price's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Olympus PEN E-P3
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow