Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chumphries
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
3 Primes or an L Lens
Nov 1, 2012

I'm curious what people think of the following scenario. I'm in the process of getting my first lenses for my new Canon t4i. I have the 18-135 kit lens and it's very versatile for most situations and I have the Canon 55-250 zoom lens because of the great deal Amazon had on it when I bought it (just $50).

I understand the importance of a good low light lens/lenses for indoor family shooting, but as I've learned the pros and cons of each focal length and quality of lenses, something popped up in my head.

Would three "affordable" primes be better than an L lens covering the same focal lengths but with a lower overal aperture at each? I understand the build quality of the L lenses is far greater than their cheaper counterparts, but I've only borred my friend's 50mm f/1.8 and that's my experience with primes. I'm curious if I'd appreciate the better aperture of the primes over the comparable L zoom.

Here's the options I'm considering buying:

1. Canon 28mm f/1.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Canon 100mm Macro
  2. Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Canon 100mm Macro
  3. Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L Zoom

I'm on option overload at the moment and can't make my mind up. I just ordered the 430 EX II flash to complement my current lenses. I'm just wanting more stuff to tinker with I just want some better options for indoor shooting.

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow