Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Blue Orca
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony RX1 User Manual now available in several languages
In reply to becasabot, Oct 31, 2012

becasabot wrote:

Thanks for the link.

I have gulped it down in a fast breeze and here are some findings which was inquired by me and others till now:

• There is steadyshot, but only for videos
  • It seems that the battery can only be charged in-camera, there is no separate charger coming with it
  • As you know AF-C was removed from the front focus dial and I wondered whether it is still possible through the menus. Well I could not find specific info on the manual but Drive Modes of the camera are : (Single Shooting/Cont. Shooting/Spd Priority Cont./Self- timer/Bracket: Cont./Single Bracket/WB bracket/DRO Bracket) . If this is similar to NEX-7 Cont. Shooting should mean camera autofocuses between frames (and Spd Priority Cont. does it without refocusing between frames). This is not AF-C however it's an option to follow the subject and take photos in succession to get one good shot, autofocusing during cont. Shooting may not be clever enough to calculate subject speed and direction to nail the next frame focus though. LCD Display still has indicator for 4 modes, AF-S, AF-C, DMF and MF but AF-C might just be there for display in video mode. But again, in the list of dÄ°cons in the LCD dsiplay, there is an icon with a dot and TRACKING FOCUS sentence! Is it a display while the camera is focusing or while it does AFC? Maybe AFC for stills is so lousy due to CDAF that Sony removed it. Bah!
  • (Multi Frame Noise Reduct./ISO AUTO to 102400) is interesting, the camera shoots continuous multiple images automatically, combines the images, reduces the noise, and records 1 image.
Yes I have nothing better to do I may have mistakes in my thoughts above since I am not familiar to NEX-7 or any other Sony cameras at all. The user guide is not very descriptive to me anyway.

I agree the instruction manual, with only 76 pages, has left out a lot of essential details.  I too was wondering what's the difference between Cont. Shooting and Spd Priority Cont., but I believe you are correct in your explanation above.

I don't like in-camera charger.  That means I can't get a 2nd battery and have it charged while I'm shooting with the first.  The only good I can see is I can use my iPad charger (or any 10W USB charger) with the camera.  One fewer charger to carry.

I also saw "tracking focus" on page 22, but can't tell if it is referring to face priority tracking (page 31) or the camera really does track focus on any objects moving in the frame, not just faces?

Blue

Blue Orca's gear list:Blue Orca's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7S Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow