ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Advice re wide angle 28mm 2.8 AIS or 24mm 2.8 AIS
Oct 31, 2012

Hi,

I intend to purchase a good to excellent wide angle, manual focus and 2.8 will do me fine.

The thing is, I know that good to excellent wide angles are not cheap.

There are three lens, from reviews and images that I really like and a fourth that is a good also ran.

1) Nikkor 28mm 2.8 AIS - goes for around 330 dollars used good cond.

2) Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AIS - goes for around 200 dollars used good cond.

3) Nikkor 20mm 3.5 or 20mm 4 AIS - go for around 300 used good cond.

and 4) Nikkor 28mm 3.5 AIS - goes for around 100 used good cond.

The lens will be for general family, walk around, architecture, landscape.

28MM on crop will be equiv vew to 42mm full, which would suit me very nicely for walk around. In addition, I fancy the ability to very close focus utilising subjects to background etc. This lens has been compared to the Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8 very favourably in one review and is noted for sharpness from wide open, which I would prefer.

I would just have to save a bit more for this lens, which is my current 'logical' choice.

24mm on crop is roughly 36mm vew, again suits me fine. The thing is, I see some reviews saying that this lens is not sharp wide open, some also very neutral on the out of focus areas, noting it strange sometimes.  I have seen a few shots with close focus, but not many.

20mm I have seen some lovely work and this lens also gets rave reviews, whether f3.5 or f4. I also like the wide view for some work.

The 28 3.5 would be a logical 'cheap' but strong alternative.

So, is the 24mm really not sharp wide open, is it that bad? How is close work on this?

If it is acceptable and fairly decent wide open, it would effectively kill two birds with one stone,
good general lens and close focus and fairly wide view. If not...

An ideal solution would be both 28mm 2.8 AIS and 20mm 3,.5 but I cant swing that anytime soon, can swing the 28mm 2,8 in a few months.

So that is where I may go, but can you confirm that the 24mm 2.8 is or is not sharp wide open? That would make me think a littel longer before abandoning it as an alternative.

Thanks!!!

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow