Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gary Blake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529
Like?
A few eagle photos with Olympus OM 350mm f2.8, OMD EM5
Oct 31, 2012

I have just returned from an extended road trip in to the far reaches of Northern Ontario, predominantly in the area north of Lake Superior. (one of my most favourite areas on this planet)

One of the subjects I go to this area to photograph is the bald eagle. Once almost wiped out in this area by rampant pesticide use in the 1960’s (remember DDT?) they are now making a very healthy comeback throughout northern Ontario.

The introduction of salmon in to Lake Superior staring in the 1950’s and 60’s has introduced a new food source in the Great Lakes area which has also greatly benefited the resurgence of the eagle population.

The salmon spawn and then die in many of the major rivers and streams flowing in to Lake Superior and the eagles congregate on the rivers to take advantage of the food source.

Primarily a photographic trip and I took a full Pentax 67 kit, and an OM 35mm kit for film and digital kit including 2 E-5’s and an OMD-EM5.

I have to admit the OMD is quickly becoming my favourite camera and the E-5’s ended up being relegated to backups that did not get used at all.

I have just started processing some of the eagle shots and thought I would share a few.

These were all taken with the OMD and OM 350mm f2.8 mounted on a very sturdy RRS tripod and ball head. All were taken from a blind and are uncropped except the one as noted.

(Note:Before anyone replies that I am posting in the wrong forum. I own an OMD but do not own a single M43 lens. OM and 4/3 lenses only. The OMD is my “bridge” camera until the E-7 arrives or the systems merge or whatever else may happen in the future. The way I see it there will soon be a need for a merged Olympus only m43/43 forum. This will be due to the eventual merging of the systems and other players joining the 4/3 consortium. I am not really interested in Panasonic or any of the other offerings)

Distance was approximately 35 feet - just an awesome bird to watch from close range (or any range for that matter)

These images are all of the same immature eagle.

A big strong juvenile

In the blink of an eye, this sequence shows the eagle approaching the blind and you can see the clear inner eyelid (nictitating membrane) closed in the second frame and close up in the cropped version.

This membrane is like a windshield wiper for their eyes clearing any dust or irritants from the eye while still allowing them to see. It also gives them an ominous sort of look when closed and the angle of the light accentuates the membrane. The nine FPS of the OMD certainly helps here.

More in reply

Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow