ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
7enderbender
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
PW Plus III vs. Odins - or else
Oct 31, 2012

Hello everyone,

After another pretty successful portrait shot with my little improvised home studio setup I'm thinking more and more to lay out a road map for myself to eventually share a little artist rental space in the neighborhood and set up something more permanent. If this turns into a viable (side) business model or not remains to be seen and I don't want to go over the top with equipment and build slowly and remain compatibility.

Currently I'm using a bunch of Canon Speedlites with either the build in line-of sight wireless system or cheap radio triggers. After some trial and error I'm actually coming to the surprising conclusion that I'm getting better results from an all-manual approach as opposed to ETTL. Actually, maybe that's not surprising since some experts have been suggesting that all along.

So I'm thinking to upgrade my triggers to something more reliable and more consistent sync speed. The obvious choice would be the Pocket Wizards Plus II or III. What bothers me a bit is not so much the lack of ETTL or HHS (which can be nice for outside shots) but that when shooting manual you have to actually walk all over the place and adjust things on the flash. Yes, I'm lazy. In an ideal world I'd want something that works on camera like the Phottix Odins but without the pre-flash issues (even in manual it seems) and full compatibility with Sekonic meters (or something like it), and studio flash systems such as Alien Bees, Einsteins or better - once I move up to something like that.

So what would be my best modular approach with the laziness/practicality/compatibility questions  in mind.

Oh, and no, I don't think I want the PW TTL solutions based on the reviews of those.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow