Too many (fixable) SW issues to commit to Fuji XE1 at the moment...

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
borgein
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
Re: Too many (fixable) SW issues to commit to Fuji XE1 at the moment...
In reply to drv320, Oct 31, 2012

I agree on everything you summarized in your list.

I purchased the X-Pro1 and it's 3 lenses and the EF-X20 at launch, and sold it 1 1/2 months ago due to all the small issues that, in the end - together, made me more and more frustrated with the camera. I was hoping that the 2.00 firmware fixed mostly all the issues, but it didn't. The difference in focusing speed/accuracy was not improved as much as Fuji said it would either (not even with the 18-55 zoom - the OM-D locks focus much quicker still if from what I've seen, and, it is a much more responsive camera to work with in general). It's not just the focusing speed either, it's a combination of slow focus speed, shutter lag and delay which sometimes can get pretty bad, and sometimes not, all depending on the frame and the light.

I tried a friends OM-D with a Pana-Leica 25mm f/1.4 and I was amazed how quick and response that combination was compared to my X-Pro1 with the XF35mm F1.4 lens (with firmware 2.00, and yes, on both the body and the lens).

So after 7 months of ownership I sold the entire kit. I managed to use firmware 2.00 for about two weeks before I decided that enough was enough, and in total I've clocked in about 12000 exposures on the two X-Pro1 bodies I had (the first one was RMA'ed due to a faulty sensor).

The IQ of the X-Trans sensor and the XF lenses are very good, and the best in it's class - no doubt. But the difference in IQ isn't worth using a camera that, for my use, was very frustrating to work with - even after getting used to it's annoyances.

Among many reasons, and more than the ones you listed, the ones you listed are also very frustrating from my experience.

I'll probably get a whole lot of flack from recent X-E1 adopters now, and I really don't care. It's a great camera, but it has a decent list of small frustrating issues that should have been fixed a long time ago (in the X-Pro1 firmware - even before version 2.00). Depending on your shooting style you might not be as affected by the issues as many others are, so bear that in mind.

I mentioned the OM-D a few times in this post, and just to clarify, I have not purchased a OM-D. So that's not the reason for my comparisons.

borgein's gear list:borgein's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow