Tamron 24-70 vs. Nikon 24-70...Worth the price difference?

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron 24-70 vs. Nikon 24-70...Worth the price difference?
In reply to Shotcents, Oct 31, 2012

Shotcents wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. There is absolutely no noticeable differences in "tonal graduation" and "color pop." Bokeh was about the same. As I still owned the Nikon 24-70 at the time I "wanted" to prefer the Nikon, but the Tamron was really in the same league overall. You'd really be picking nits to choose one over the other for IQ.

Sorry, but there's no way you can say that both are equal at least in tonal gradation and bokeh. Bokeh at least is easily visible, and tonal gradations require more observation. The "pop" thing is subjective, I guess, and can vary depending on your picture control.

I tried the Tamron before and in the end I preferred the Nikkor because it was a better product overall (IQ, build, compactness, AF), and didn't like the zoom ring stiffness on the Tamron and the filter diameter. I wanted to save some money buying the Tamron over the Nikkor, but after playing a few days with the Tamron I am glad I returned it. For the money I spent on the Tamron I was expecting more, although the VC can be a big plus on occasions.

-- hide signature --
 Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow