Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
likovsky
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Storage and Back Up Advice Needed
Oct 31, 2012

I'm a photographer who also does some video. I shoot an average of about 100GB/month or more. I'm working mostly with a MacBook Pro which has been fast enough most of the time but I may upgrade to the 13" or 15" Retina with SSD drives. I've got a 500GB SSD Hybrid for my main drive and a 750 additional internal drive which replaces my optical. I'm using Capture One, Photoshop and After Effects.

Looking into the easiest way to store and back up my work.

What I've been thinking of investing in so far:

Option 1:
8TB WD or G-Tech Thunderbolt drives set to 4TB Mirrored. When full I would change out the drives and use the same enclosure. It seems like the WD is easier to swap drives with and I hear they are finally using faster 7200 RPM Hitachi drives rather then their own WD drives. ($700-$800 for initial set up and then I would buy smaller (maybe even SSD) drives for certain jobs or continue with a new set of 4TB's if they go down in price)

Option 2:
Find a good dual drive enclosure for 2x 4TB drives. Possibly a Thunderbolt enclosure if one exists. Could anyone recommend a good enclosure if this is the way to go? I'd like something fast and easy to swap drives out.

Option 3.
A Dual Bay Docking Station such as the Thermaltake for about $60 and 2x 4TB internal drives. Concerned it would be rather slow. Does anybody know which docking station works best with Mac and supports up to 4TB?
is anybody coming out with a Thunderbolt docking station?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

likovsky's gear list:likovsky's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Apple iPhone 4S Apple iPad 2 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow