Food for thought on the D800: Can a DSLR have too many megapixels?

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
phototrope
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Re: Food for thought on the D800: Can a DSLR have too many megapixels?
In reply to come shine come rain, Oct 31, 2012

come shine come rain wrote:

phototrope wrote:

"If you have to shoot sports and fast moving subjects using servo PDAF there might be one Nikon 800(E) out of a hundred that does it exceptionally"

One out of a hundred - is that number based on any concrete evidence or any correct testing of a sample of D800/E bodies? Where did they get these stats from? Or is it a just a number pulled out of a hat?

Why should we believe this article?

Seriously, Nikon is being magnanimous by not suing people like this.
------------------------------------------------------------------
"The job of the photographer is not to record indisputable fact but to try to be coherent about intuition and hope."
-- Robert Adams

I think you miss the article's point. Who's more at fault, Nikon or the photographer?

No, I didn't miss the point. His 4 points about correct technique are spot on. (Although he could have added some more points about handholding technique - breathing in, holding arms close to chest, or resting against walls, etc, etc).

I didn't miss the point - I'm just highlighting a very bad point. The D800 is not by any means as bad he makes out.  Sounds like he's just jumping on the bandwagon. Typical tabloid headline type article: "99 out of 100 users find that Nikon's high MP camera is pants!". Sure, it gets attention but the basic premise is wrong and doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

-- hide signature --

"The job of the photographer is not to record indisputable fact but to try to be coherent about intuition and hope."
-- Robert Adams

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow