Who would buy a FF? Well, there are some amongst us...

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
spqr_ca
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Who would buy a FF? Well, there are some amongst us...
Oct 31, 2012

I am one of them.

Sadly, I finally decided that the Pentax assertions that FF wasn't happening were true and so I jumped, to the Nikon D800. I loved my K-5s, great cameras with incredible capability tucked into such a small frame, but I finally decided that:

1. There was no FF option coming from Pentax in the visible future.

2. Pentax flash systems were going to continue to be the worst amongst the major players.

Point 2 was probably more meaningful to me, I think, though the FF lure was reasonably strong in any event. Nevertheless, looking at the kind of lighting you can pull off with Nikon versus Pentax, hmm... It's just so much easier and the options are so much better out there. I kept hoping, sitting on my Cactus v4 triggers, that something better would come along and it never has. I really want to learn and grow in this arena and I don't see Pentax as being really viable there.

So my Pentax gear, for those of you in the Greater Toronto Area, will be going up for sale in the near future, likely on the usual suspects such as Craigslist, Kijiji, and here at DP review. As a preview, there will be two K-5s and each will have the battery grip and an extra battery along with a pinhole lens (the Rising lens). I also have 10 lenses, 3 TCs, an IR remote, a cable release, a GPS unit, and a couple of other goodies. Stay tuned, I plan to post the complete list, with pricing, this weekend.

At any rate, I'm still a Pentax fan and I won't hesitate to recommend their options to most people I know. They make great cameras, but I want a path and Pentax wants a niche, so I move on.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D800 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Me!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow