Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OcheerioO
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
First shoot with my new E-5, (6 photos)
Oct 30, 2012

So I thought I would update for those remotely interested! Several weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on an e-5 because I wanted to upgrade from my e-30 (which I love) since I have some amazing glass to go with it (50mm, 12-60, 50-200, 35-100).

Anyways, I literally received the camera the very next day after pushing the "purchase" button. It wasn't even 24hrs before I was holding it in my hands. I had a shoot the very next day and debated about whether it was a good idea to use it, even though I really had no time to go through everything.

Well, I definitely messed up the settings and didn't pay attention, overexposing for more than half the photos and I stupidly had the iso set incorrectly at one point. I was mad at myself, but I didn't want to look like an idiot with the camera--so I just focused my attention on everything BUT my settings. I've been paying for that in my post processing because I've really had to work on the images.

Nonetheless, I'm really blown away by the sharpness compared to the e-30. The files are crisper and have a different look to them. It's taken me some getting used to. I shoot in raw, so I've really had to play with the settings to get them to look the way I want them too. I also started using Photoshop CS6, which is markedly different from the CS4 I was using. I'm just adapting to all the new changes but I'm very impressed with how the camera handles, sharpness, shadows and depth--areas that needed an upgrade IMO.

It also feels great in my hand, which surprised me because I thought the e-30 felt great. I do wish the shutter button was like the e-30's, but I guess that's the water-proof touch. With my 35-100 on there, it's definitely some heavy piece of equipment, but I kinda like it

I've had a few shoots since this session.  While I haven't edited those images yet, I do think I did a MUCH better job figuring out how to control the camera while focusing my attention on my subject.

Here's a few...

Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --

~Lauren www.petimagery.com www.laurenphoto.com

OcheerioO's gear list:OcheerioO's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow