D7000 1st Wedding picture

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
joet718
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
Re: D7000 1st Wedding picture
In reply to jkjond, Oct 30, 2012

jkjond wrote:

A quick deconstruct, then how to put it back together.

Elements -

People: three main players - bride most important, none of them looking your way, traditional wear, bouquet

Secondary man

Background - cluttered, car, signs, man, lots of other bits.

Approach

There are a few decisions to be made, the first is context v isolation. If going for context you need to weigh up how to present what. does the man have a place in the image? As is, I'd say no, but if he were slightly more in shot, maybe someone else with him and e bit of expression he could become a vital component. The way third party passers by react to weddings can give great context and add interest to a shot. But if you can't make him work, then you need to lose him.

Though he doesn't work in the shot, I find the crop on the bouquet a greater issue. Like the man, its right on the edge of the image, which is rarely a position to place anything whether its a distraction or a part of the subject. A tilt of the camera, bend of the knee and/or rotation of the camera are all options. Getting the bouquet in shot obviously gets more of her dress in shot too, not a bad thing.

Timing - I think this is a slightly dull moment. Cheesy grins to a different photographer make a very passive shot from your viewpoint. OK, get a shot in the bag, but then wait it out and get an expression worth capturing.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Thank you.....I was the main photographer....just family friend snapping away

Thank you again

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7000, SB-600, Nikon 18-105, Nikon 50 1.8
Olympus C5060

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow