ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chumphries
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
First Prime Experience
Oct 30, 2012

Hey everyone,

I just purchased my first DSLR (Canon t4i) with the 18-135 kit lens and 70-250 zoom lens. I'm trying to decide on a first prime lens.

I understand the pros of both 30-35mm primes and 50mm primes and I can see where they would both be beneficial depending on what you shoot more. I have about $700 left in my budget to spend and $250 is for the Canon EX II flash, which leaves me about $450.

I 'm considering the following options myself:

• Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - $489
  • Canon 50mm f/1.4 - $336
  • Canon 35mm f/2 - $309 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 - $92 (I'd be able to get both, but I'm afraid of buyers remorse wishing I would have gotten the Canon 50mm f/1.4 instead because of its pretty bokeh and the extra stop)

NOTE: I'm aware of the AF issues for the various lenses. I plan to inspect/test all the lenses when I receive them for defects and purchase through Amazon in case they ever stop working.

Putting branding and cost aside, I'm wanted to know of some of your experiences with your primes. Specifically I'm looking for the following:

• Which prime do you use most and why? 
  • Any thoughts on the options I'm considering?
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow