The Illusion of the 45 / 30mp Foveon Sensor

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ilsiu
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
Re: Change the referential
In reply to Gate bois, Oct 30, 2012

Gate bois wrote:

A comparison DP1m interpolated 36Mpix.-D800 samples from Imaging resource.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sigma-dp1m/sigma-dp1mA7.HTM

DP1m.

D800.

I like playing with the Imaging Resource comparometer too. Here's a closer look at the fabric swatches.

Cameras compared:
SD1 (APSC; 15.4 MP blue, 15.4 MP green, 15.4 MP red)
DP1M (APSC; 15.4 MP blue, 15.4 MP green, 15.4 MP red)
D800E (FF; 36 MP; 18 G, 9 B, 9 R)
OMD EM5 (m4/3; 16 MP; 8 G, 4 B, 4 R)

All were from 200 ISO, which is the lowest ISO for the EM5 (I believe it's also supposed to be the base ISO for the Sigmas per Laurence Matson's comments in other threads). All images (except the D800E) were upscaled to 4912 pixels on the short edge using CS5 bicubic smoother.

Caveats:
- I don't know if optimal focus was achieved for all images
- I don't know if optimal raw->jpg conversion was achieved
- I don't know if any of the lenses were duds
With that in mind, I focused on three areas:

NOTE: Please click on gallery and select original to see the images rather than rely on the mangled previews.

Blue:
The Sigmas have by far the most blue pixels; the other cameras have to interpolate up.
Expectation is the Sigmas should show the most micro-detail, best micro-sharpness and the EM5 the poorest.

Red:
The Sigmas have by far the most red pixels; the other cameras have to interpolate up.
Expectation is the Sigmas should show the most micro-detail, best micro-sharpness and the EM5 the poorest.

Yellow-orange:
Since yellow is a combination of green and red, the gap between the Sigmas and others shrinks.
Expectation is the Simgas and D800E should be close, with the edge going to the D800E; EM5 should be the poorest.

Overall comments: Due to the previously mentioned caveats, I don't think it can be concluded which sensor is "superior." However, if the Sigma is considered to be the most accurate representation of the original object, I'm very impressed at how good a job the Bayer sensors do at guessing the missing pixels.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow