Sigma vs Canon 50mm 1.4

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
Re: Sigma vs Canon 50mm 1.4
In reply to Tom Fisher, Oct 30, 2012

Both the Canon and Sigma f1.4 have had issues.  I have a feeling the Sigma 50 issues have been resolved.  Often manufactures will not admit to an issue and instead just fix it with the release of newer lenses, I suspect Sigma has done this as I don't read complaints about it as I had in the past.

I have one of the early ones, and when I used it for street photography in day light hours I was horrified at how soft the images were when I used the single centre focus point.  On an experiment I turned on all focus points and I got very sharp pics.  The pic below is the first pic I took with all focus points turned on.

You should be aware the Canon f1.4 has reliability issues.  I don't know how many threads and posts I have read here of their f1.4 lens dying.

For bokeh, the Canon f1.2 is best but the Sigma is very very close, you just can't beat 9 blades rounded:

First pic taken with all focusing points turned on, the white in the back were boats I wanted "removed" from the image.

-- hide signature --

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow