Have you upgraded to OMD from GH1? If so, what did you like and not like abou it?

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Questions thread
Stevejac
Contributing MemberPosts: 878Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you upgraded to OMD from GH1? If so, what did you like and not like abou it?
In reply to leo9, Oct 30, 2012

I used a GH1 and GH2 and now the OM-D. I bought the Olympus for a specific reason... taking a 'vacation of a lifetime' to Peru and rain was predicted. I still have the GH1 and 2 bodies and several Panny lenses.

Of course it didn't rain much, but using an expensive camera in the rain was, well, weird.

I like the OM-D very much. I don't feel the image quality is that much better than the GH2, but the IBIS is a real advantage. I found the combination of the OM-D and the panasonic 7-14 lens to be wonderful, and it is stabilized.

The OM-D seems to focus quicker and better on moving targets than the GH2. I've not used the GH1 in a long time, so I don't remember the AF perfornace, but I can be pretty sure the OM-D is better.

For movies the OM-D is clearly not as good, so if that's your motivation, look at the GH3. My movie making is really about the grandchildren, so the OM-d is fine.

I just bought the grip for the OM-D and it changes a good cameral into a great one, at least in my hands.

If I were you, I'd wait and try the GH3. I was up against a time issue... the vacation was already scheduled. You have the luxury of waiting.

-- hide signature --

Steve Jacobs

Stevejac's gear list:Stevejac's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow