Is anyone bothered by numbers like $250,000?

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lownine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,074
Like?
Is anyone bothered by numbers like $250,000?
Oct 30, 2012

That's not the only number.  One million gets bandied about.  $200,000 is another.

These are the thresholds of income/wealth or whatever that mark the group from whom it is proposed to get the money to fill the holes.

I would have thought these efforts to raise support for more revenue were more credible if there had been offered the results of an analysis that identified the fiscal objectives - our program needs are X, our revenues are Y, our  effort to close that gap needs Z, and here's our plan to get Z.

What I've heard is "fat cats" and I think that $250,000 turned out to be a number that "polled" well in service to an effort to isolate a group for finger pointing and blame.  "Lets' GET 'EM!"

I mean, what are the odds that a fiscal analysis produced such a perfect, round number?  It couldn't have been $261,885?

I think $250,000 was chosen carefully and deliberately as the most effective way to define "Us" and "Them."  "We're going after the rich.  Now...what number has the best resonsance?"

I'm not opposed to revenue.  I like smooth roads as well as the next guy.  Where did $250,000 come from?  I'm not smart - ask anyone here - but I'm truly surprised that I've never heard this question raised.  How did they settle on that one?  It was chosen as a result of....what?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow