Have you upgraded to OMD from GH1? If so, what did you like and not like abou it?
Re: Have you upgraded to OMD from GH1? If so, what did you like and not like abou it?
In reply to yotes
7 months ago
I switched from the GH1 to the EM-5 last April. I wasn’t very keen on the Olympus at first and nearly sent it back, but decided to stick with it until the GH3 came out because of the IBIS and fewer blown highlights.
Since then it’s grown on me and now I can’t see myself changing back to Panasonic unless they miraculously introduce IBIS.
My E-M5 Pros vs. GH1
- IBIS – ultra-wide angle shots of waterfalls or cathedral interiors at ¼ second– great fun!
- Better dynamic range – fewer blown highlights and less abrupt transition to blown-out areas
- Automatic white balance works very well giving better colours, especially skin tones, without having to constantly tweak in PP
- Higher resolution
- Wireless flash system
My E-M5 Cons vs. GH1
- The camera’s grip is too small when using lenses over 200 grams and the add-on landscape one is expensive and adds 100 grams to the weight (bear this in mind when comparing to the GH3).
- Smaller EVF (0.58x compared to 0.7x for GH1)
- Fiddly, squishy buttons (water resistant but that’s not a big plus for me)
- No built-in flash
- Can’t quickly play back photos for viewing in the EVF (have to hit 2 buttons in sequence – my E-M5 pet hate), plus other quirks that could be easily fixed by a firmware update but won’t be.