Started Oct 30, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fastprime
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Regarding Image Quality when Displaying Image as Screen Background
Oct 30, 2012

My images look like crap when I set them as "wallpaper" on my 22" monitors. They are incredibly noisy, oversharpened and the colors are awful. The sample gallery JPEGS that Microsoft provides with Windows 7 look awesome, crisp but not overly so, wonderful colors, and noise free.

I'm using good cameras (D7000, D800, G3), good software (LR4, CS6, NIK Dfine) and I've created some Blurb books with the same images that look OK in print. I've tried JPEG and TIFF with file sizes in the 5-10MB range (the sample gallery files are about 4-6MB I think).

I shoot RAW and convert to DNG for processing then output to JPEG or TIFF. I usually sharpen with either Smartsharpen (1.5 - 2.5 pixels) or else High Pass Filter (1.5 - 2.5 pixels). I usually control any noise that creeps in with the sharpening by using Dfine.

The shots look totally different quality wise in LR and PS compared to "wallpaper".

I'm at a loss to understand what's gone wrong when I set my pictures as "wallpaper". Can anyone explain?

Thanks,

Colin

ANSWER:
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow