Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DigitalArt
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Sensor degradation over time
Oct 30, 2012

Logic tells me that so long as it isn't burned from excessive light, a digital camera's sensor should not appreciably deteriorate over time. Received wisdom from web searches confirms this fact.

Why then has the image quality of both my four year old SX200 and my wife's slightly younger IXUS 130 fallen off a cliff? It is not my imagination or the expectations from normally shooting with a DSLR, either; comparing like-for-like shots with those taken when each camera was new confirms massively blown skin highlights in bright light or with built-in flash (compared to merely overly-bright when new as is common with these tiddly little sensors), and generally poor image quality in anything other than bright-but-neutral outdoor lighting.

I'm travelling at the moment and don't have sample images to hand that I can post but am interested in other experiences.

Many thanks!

[For compleness - I am currently weighing up whether to replace the SX200 with more of the same (a jacket pocket friendly, tiny sensored, but manually controllable and super-zoomed SX240) or the more limited (zoom-wise) and much bulkier but otherwise more capable G1X]

Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS / IXUS 130 / IXY 400F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow