Pentax K-30 review posted

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K-30 review posted
In reply to ozdean, Oct 30, 2012
Only negative I have with the K30 is why did they bother trying to fit a Li-ion into it?

Because Li-Ion batteries have more capacity per weight and they don't self-discharge as much as cheaper NiMH batteries?

Both AA Eneloops & Eveready lithiums would give 2x & 4x the life, they would have saved the cost of a battery & charger and it would have been the perfect Adventure DSLR.

This claim doesn't really hold water.

The K30's Li-Ion battery is rated at 1050 mAh and 7.4 V, so total energy is 1.05 Ah * 7.7 V = 7.8 Wh.

The highest rated NiMH Eneloops I know of are rated at 2000 mAh and 1.2 V. So using four of those in the Pentax would give you 4 * 2.00 Ah * 1.2 V = 9.6 Wh, which is a slightly more than with LiIon, but nowhere near double or four times.

There are of course non-pre-charged NiMH AA cells that are rated to upto 2800 mAh, perhaps even higher. But their self-discharge rates are so high (4% per day) that I would never use them in a device that isn't used daily: unless fresh from the charger, they are always empty.

Anyway, I am not a Pentax shooter, but I have a habit of reading all DPreview's reviews. And it looks like you in Pentax-land have a really nice camera with the K-30.

Kind regards,

- Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow