Best Ultrawide for D7000?

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Questions thread
VREN
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Ultrawide for D7000?
In reply to gsbryant, Oct 30, 2012

My brother and I have tried the Tamron, Tokina and Sigma 8-16. The tamron version that we tried was very soft around the edges and that was returned. We bought the Tokina which is very sharp and wonderfully fast. My brother kept the Tokina. I bought the Sigma 8-16 and I am very pleased with it. He sometimes borrow my sigma for the 8mm and I sometimes borrow the tokina for the f2.8. The greatest weakness of the tokina is flare, my greatest problem with the sigma is focusing consistency, I have resorted to manual focus only which can be a problem when you have to focus on close objects. My sigma also does not focus in live view on the d7000. We have never tried the Nikon 10-24. Finally, before moving to Nikon, my brother owned the sigma 10-20 for pentax and was pleased with it.

I guess the best thing is the type of photography you do. If you do astro-photography, the Tokina is the one to go for in my opinion. If you like very wide dramatic landscape photography I'll suggest the sigma 8-16 because 8mm creates dramatic views that you can't get with any other lens. If you want the best focusing, the Nikon most likely be the best and also the most versatile instead of range. Many have said that the sigma 10-20 is the best bang for buck. You probably need to go down to a shop that owns some of these and try them if you can. Sometimes the feel of the lens is just as important.

VREN's gear list:VREN's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow